Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Bike Profile: 60's Schwinn Continental


This is my daily beater. Its heavy, geared low at 63 inches and sorta resembles a FGFS bike. The fixed axle will be great for snow, and due to the frequency of equipment failure I left the brakes on it. All of the components came from a 24" schwinn predator bmx bike. The old chicago made schwinns use the same BB as most bmx bikes, so putting it together was a matter of degreasing and unfreezing worn out parts. I can easily get the bike to spin at around 20mph, but at a slow pace I can average 10-15 mph. For what it is, its wonderful to ride. The buses still have bike racks on them, so the commute uphill is short, and the hill bomb home is fast. I've been applying Loc-tite to the chainring crank but everytime I backpedal or mash it breaks loose. Yesterday while riding I was riding the pedals hard down a hill and the stock formula lockring finally bit the bullet. Was really scared the cog was going to thread off and kill me going down the hill. Fixed it with a beefier surly track lockring I got at Continental, so this week I've spent a total of $14 to keep riding.

Frame: 60's Electro Forged Schwinn Continental. Somewhere from 58cm to 60cm (got from the BCC)
Drivetrain: 42t Profile Racing Chainring to Oddesey 1 piece crank. American BB. BMX pedals
Wheels: WTB fn29 in the front with a 38c tire, mavic cxp-22 to 35c kenda kwick rear tire. formula track hub with a 18t fixed cog and a surly lockring (new as of yesterday!)
Bars n Brakes: Tioc Low rise moto style bars, tektro brakes and old junk long linear pull reach brakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment